Thursday, December 16, 2004

Measure it up

How do you decide the measure of a person?

I sit here and wonder that as I reflect on a passage from the Gospel of Luke
Then He said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. Luke 12:15

T
hat passage seems to be foreign to us here in this country. We live in a world where success is measured by dollars and possessions. We live in a world where real happiness is sometimes quantified by what car you drive and the clothes you wear.

As my wife and I tried to figure out what to get each other this Christmas, it seemed as if somehow our priorities are out of whack. We have been blessed with so much and it seems as if we have started to take all of that for granted.

I have so many opportunities in this world simply because of my station in life, opportunities that others do not have and may never have. So am I comfortable with that? Is my legacy simply to be a man who had much and wanted more or is my legacy going to be more than that?

When my life is measured, after I am gone I want to have a legacy. I want my legacy to be first and foremost a child of God. A good father and a good husband and a good friend. I want people to look back on my life and see tangible differences that I have made in the world around me. I want people to be able to see the Jesus in the little things that I have done throughout my life. I want people to be able to see someone who truly loves people and cared for them.

When my time is over, I want people to see a man who stood for something and did not waver upon that. I want them to see a man who always tried to show Christ's love for all people.

I want my measure to be about the lives that I have shaped and have touched. I want my measure to be about the concern that I hope I have shown to the world. I want my measure to be about integrity, compassion, forgiveness, and grace. I want my legacy to be 2 boys/men who have been shown the love of God and of family growing up and continue to show that to the world around them. I want my legacy to be about a man who simply cared for people. A man who wanted to help people and a man that did not let doctrine or rules or trouble stop him from caring for the pain in the world.

That is how I would like to be measured.

How about you?

1 comment:

leah said...

Boy! I can relate!
Just stopping by to say "HI" and that I found your blog.
Blessings!
leah
www.joyfulsoundrecords.com
www.leahslogic.blogspot.com