Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Compromise

There are times when compromise is a gift. There are times when it is an art. But there are times when compromise is wrong, even sin!

When I read the above quote in an article written by Bishop Woodie White, I almost started the Alleluia Chorus. In the world in which we live in there seems to be a growing number of people who seemingly want the world to get along at whatever cost. While I believe that we should always approach each other with respect and love, that does not mean that I am always going to agree with you nor do I expect you always to agree with me.

Sometime our positions are going to be so far apart that there truly can be no compromise. Other times I will not be able to compromise on something that I feel strongly about and I expect others would feel the same.

However, in this world today we also see a growing number of people who would not dream of compromising on anything at all. They are so stuck in their viewpoint of the world that they do not see any benefit in talking to anyone on the "other side".

We see this in the war in Iraq. We see this in churches over certain issues. It seems at times as if we have forgotten that there is only one who is perfect and he was living in Galilee about 2000 years ago.

We need each other and we need to understand that sometimes we are wrong or sometimes our position is not as important as people. When our views become so stringent, they become our idols. Do we worship our views or do we worship the ever living God?

I worship the ever living God, on that I will NEVER compromise

1 comment:

the reverend mommy said...

DeLurking during DeLurking week.
Boo!

Have a great and blessed Thanksgiving.
(o)