Thursday, June 14, 2007

Funeral Today

Today I presided over the funeral of a woman in the church. She was a relatively new member. In fact, I had just baptized her a few weeks ago. Like most funerals there were tears and there sobs in addition to smiles and a few bouts of laughter.

Sadness is understandable, however it is important to never forget that for a believer a funeral is also a time to celebrate a life. It is a time to remember the joy that was present while the person was living in addition to the joy the person will continue to experience now that they are with God.

For me, a funeral is one of the best moments in my ministry. It is really a time to help a family that has lost a loved one. It is definitely time when I can truly feel like a servant. The time is not about me or my church or how much many members we have. It is not a time to worry about numbers or statistics or anything else.

It is simply a time to minister to a family and to help them find peace, grace, mercy, and some understanding. It is a time to show them Jesus!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw you at that funeral today- and you were great! Sometimes laughter is the best medicine for a grieving soul.