Saturday, February 23, 2008

There but the Grace of God

Last night my son called me at 11:50.
I assumed he was calling me to tell he that he was going to be late for his curfew. What I found out instead was that he had just hit a deer on his way home.
He sounded okay. He said the car was driveable so I told him to come home. I went out to the see the car when he got home and it looked pretty bad but not as bad as I thought it would.
He came inside and we talked awhile. Over time you could see that he was very upset. He was shaking. He said that he felt bad that he had hit an animal.
We talked to him for awhile and then he went to bed. This morning when we looked again at his car, it was a wreck! the whole side of his car was dented and trim was peeled off and there were "signs" of the deer all over the car. Even now sitting here I have a put in my stomach thinking about what could have been.
So why the picture of Bambi? Believe me it was not with malice that I put that picture there and it was not done to suggest the life of the deer was insignificant. In many ways, I believe this is the image in my son's mind of who he hit last night, or at least it was initially. He was shaken not simply by the accident but by killing a creature of God's.
The moral of the story? Heck that is easy. Life is precious. All life. But the big moral of the story is that every day, I realize more and more how much my family means to me and how much I love them.

1 comment:

klh said...

My daughter is no where near old enough to drive - she's just out of diapers - but I am amazed at the number of near accidents from which she has been saved. And like what you said, it makes me realize all the more the gift of having her with us still, healthy, today...