Friday, May 02, 2008

Well today it ends or just begins

Is the cup half empty or half full? Is this the end today as General Conference winds down or is it something else? I believe that the truth of the matter is that this is whatever we make it to be. Maybe this is the end of the journey for some, perhaps they feel as if the United Methodist church is not what they want it to be and are moving on but there is another way of thinking.

That way of thinking is the one that I am choosing. I believe that the church is not quite what I want it to be and yet I sense a movement of the Spirit. I feel the Spirit leading us in new and exciting ways. There are people in the world who are starving both physically and spiritually and the UMC is tasked with going out into the world and feeding them.

We need to understand that until the world hears the story of Jesus Christ then we are failing our mission. We need to be the witness for the world or actually we WILL be a witness to the world. The question becomes what type of witness are we going to be. I choose to be the best witness that I can be, if I err from here on out, I choose to err on the side of grace.

So the work continues and the church continues to move forward. The story is waiting to be told, so what are you going to do about it?

2 comments:

greg. said...

Larry, thanks for your reflections from g.c. good stuff.

i, too, want to err on the side of grace, but i'm not sure that's the decision of the methodist church at this point, which seems bound and determined to err on the side of law and judgment rather than on grace and love.

still, like you, i sense the spirit is leading me into this beautiful mess, to be the change i think needs to happen, and to follow where God would lead...

the reverend mommy said...

God has not left the building.