Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I have a confession to make


I do not like baccalaureate, or at least the baccalaureate service that they do in my township. Somehow or another the local ministerium has ceded control to the school. I know, I know the school can't be in charge and they technically aren't. However, I know how I think it should be run and what it should be and it just hasn't been that way. it is about the kids and the churches and the families coming together to celebrate this wondrous occasion in the church.


With that being said, I do have two positive things to say about the event last night. The first was that they FINALLY got the music right. It was real praise music that was led by a group of the students and it was good to hear. The other thing was that the speaker said a word that I needed to hear, actually he quoted a scripture that I needed to hear. John 16:33. Or at least a piece of it

"In this world you will have trouble." Ain't that the truth? Trouble is coming and how are we going to deal with it. I had a conversation the other day with a friend and we were talking about trouble. My friend was telling me about the trouble they were facing. It was at that point that I realized something. Taken all together, the trouble we deal with can be quite overwhelming. It can be impossible to handle on our own or feel as if there is anyone that can help us. We will get to the end of our rope.

We need to look at each bit of trouble as the separate things that they are. Taken apart one big heap of trouble turns into 3 or four different things that we can then tackle. When we do that, we begin to see that it is truly not overwhelming and it is manageable. Yes it is tough and yes there will be problems in our life.

The Good News is if we take time and look these things over and we pray and we rely on others to help us it is not so daunting a task. Finally we just need to rely on the rest of that passage from John 16, right after saying this "In this world you will have trouble"....Jesus says this But take heart! I have overcome the world.
"
Amen and Amen.

No comments: