Saturday, June 07, 2008

I've been thinking

As I got my sermon ready for this week I began to think a lot about Terah. You know who Terah is right? Yes that is right Terah, go on take a look...I'll wait. So anyway, I have been thinking a lot about him. I mean if you are not careful you might skip right through him and miss something that I think we really need to be aware of.

See the thing is, Terah was on his way to Canaan, really he was. He took Abram and Sarai and Lot and others and was on his way. Now something happened on the way and the whole group ended up settling down and never finished the journey. It says it pretty clearly right there in Chapter 11 of Genesis.

We spend a lot of time focusing in on Abram/Abraham and his faithful journey and rightfully so. However, we must also understand that the journey was started long before Abraham, Sarai, and Lot headed off. Who knows what the family conversations were around the fire with Terah and Abraham. Perhaps he told his son about some voice that called him to Canaan or the feeling that he just needed to go. Who knows what was shared from father to son.

What we do know is that for some reason Terah could not continue on that journey. He continued to worship idols and he could not or would not commit to God. He settled for the life that he had around him. Perhaps it wasn't as exciting as the life that perhaps awaited in Canaan but it was good enough.

So where are we on our journey? Are we being faithful to God's vision or have we decided to simply stay where we are. Are we so busy worshiping the idols in our life that we are neglecting God's plan?

God has a plan for his people, perhaps he will stop waiting for us and find someone else to take his people where they need to go. I want to follow God's plan. I want to be faithful to God's plan for me and my family and my ministry. I pray that I can stay the course. I pray that you will as well.

No comments: