Saturday, October 18, 2008

So let's just say



We elected all the correct people this year. We got it all correct, all the way from President down to dog catcher. Let's take it one step further and say that all those correct people implemented all the correct legislation and we all voted correctly for all the right referendums.

Will that usher in God's Kingdom? Will it make us better parents? Will it makes our hearts less hard towards God's will for us? Will it eliminate poverty and disease and natural disasters? This was the premise of an article I read this week from Leadership magazine. I was talking to a friend of mine and working on my sermon for this week. Which coincidentally(yea right) had to do with church and state issues.

So what do you think? Politics are so very important it seems in our lives these days. The economy is in trouble and our national confidence is shaken. The church that is called to be bold and courageous is eerily quiet.

So is there a "correct" candidate? Is there a "correct" set of legislation? For me personally I would think there are some candidates who are better than others and some policies that are better than others. In the end though you can't legislate someones heart. In the end we need to trust in Jesus and not politics to bring real hope and real change and the real light to the world.

5 comments:

klh said...

That's so true. I remember 4 years ago seeing a candidate's political sign that said "Hope for America!" and hearing things like "This is the person we need to save this country!" My husband's comment was, "Hmm, Jesus?" It is a dangerous thing to put messianic hope and trust in anyone other than the genuine Messiah. That said, I do think certain candidates are better than others, and I pray that the one true Savior would put together the government in mercy, bent increasingly towards righteousness.

the reverend mommy said...

Good post.

JenX67 said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I really enjoy Andrew's blog. The words in your masthead really resonate with me. Church has become a bad word. I wrote a post the other day about "cherch" and "kristian" and how I have to call Jesus "Advocate" now and God, "El" and the Holy Spirit "Counselor" because all the other words conjure up such negative thoughts and remind peeps of their worst experiences with church. So sad. But, I decided not to post it as of yet. So, what do you think of Generation X? Do you write or think much about it?

JenX67 said...

Also, regarding your post, it's helping me to remember I am under the authority of Heaven, and to above all, remember my call as a Christian to love.

JJ said...

All hail King Jesus,
All hail Emmanuel
King of Kings,
Lord of Lords,