Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Sometimes I feel like a rowboat

When we went through the Panama Canal this summer, I saw several of these tiny rowboats. Inside each rowboat was one man who would row himself out right next to the big ships passing through the canal. The rowboats would take a cord from the ship and bring it back to the middle of the canal where it would be hooked up to powerful machines that would then lead the ships through the canal. The liner that we were on was hooked up to 4 of these machines, each machine cost about 1.5 million dollars.

As I was looking at this picture, I couldn't help but feel as if sometimes, I feel as isolated as this man did that day. I am forced to row my boat at big ships(economy, fear, tradition, anger, selfishness, poverty) and try to connect those feelings to something that is going to help guide us through(the Gospel).

Sometimes the trip is easy, but at other times it feels as if I am rowing against the currents of society. I am rowing against all those doubts that I have of whether I am the man for the job. I feel as if my vision might be a little suspect and I need some help.

Sometimes though the trip is so much easier. I feel as if the waves are carrying me in safely. It is like all opposition to the changes needed have been removed. I see clearly all the obstacles in my way and am able to steer around them.

Why the differences? I am not totally sure. I know sometimes those differences are due to my own foolishness and pride. I realize that I am the current I am rowing against. Other times it is not so easy to figure out what the problems are.

Have you ever felt like that?

What do you do?

1 comment:

JJ said...

Yes I have. I pray.