Friday, November 14, 2008

How does God help?


Did God create us to be able to simply look in the Bible for all our answers? Are we supposed to just laze around until someone points out the appropriate scripture for us to reply on and to trust in? I guess I have a different view of how God operates than that.

God created all that I see and created the people that have built and produced all that I have in this world. It would seem to me that God would want us to utilize all the gifts that we have been given.

If I have a stomachache, I suppose I could simply drink more wine as Paul suggests to Timothy. I suppose if I am having trouble with my skin I could go bathe in the Jordan 7 times. I suppose I could do those things if I insisted that all the answers are in the Bible.

Or what I could do is go to a doctor if my stomach hurt or my skin was a mess. I could go talk to my pastor or a counselor if I needed some guidance. I think that is probably the more prudent answer.

So how does God help? He helps us by putting people in our lives who can help us. He helps us by putting us in the lives of others so that we can help. He shows us how to live and to treat others in his Word.

I guess the best way to sum it up for me is sometimes we are the answer to someones prayer.
So as for me, I guess I need to get my lazy butt up and start doing those things that God would have me do and reaching those people that God would have me reach.

No comments: