Friday, December 19, 2008

It's a God thing


Earlier this week, I was walking up my steps and looked over at the photo gallery that my wife has on the wall. I was looking at some really cool pictures of vacations that we had been on. However, I did not remember the exact details of some of the pictures.

I looked at my wife and said, "I just don't have a good memory" and she agreed.

Later in the week, I was working in the office and someone asked me how I "remember my sermons", the question was asked I believe because I rarely if ever use notes. I began to explain the procedure that I use to prepare for a sermon. However, halfway through the description I realized that it didn't really answer the question. So in the end I simply said, it was God.

It really is a God thing. I do the work and preparation that I was taught in seminary. I read and prepare and pray all during the process. I read and keep up with the news all week. I do all those things that I am supposed to. Yet, as I step from behind the pulpit on Sunday, it is not about me. It is about God.

I am in no way trying to imply that those who preach from a manuscript or from an outline or some combination of those things is not somehow in the midst of a God thing. Quite the opposite.
However, for me God has enabled me to deliver the Word in this way and I am thankful for it.

So as I stand up there every week, a little afraid and unsure of myself, I know that I can simply turn it over to God. Because it is a God thing I can be certain that I will not "Fail", instead I will be able to do what God intends for me. So my part is to simply remain faithful to the Gift God has given me and do then needed preparation and rely on God, through the Holy Spirit, to ensure that God's word is fruitful.

Thank God, for God.

No comments: