Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Water


Today was a vacation day. Yet at about 10: 15,I found myself slipping on a robe and a stole and prepared to officiate at a Baptism.

It was a great day as I went up to the church of a friend and baptized young Olivia. Olivia is the child of former member of my previous church. is a sign

Every time I dip my hand into the font I get a chill. It is a simple act yet one that,among other things, makes a very powerful connection to the church throughout the centuries. Today as I baptized Olivia she became part of the universal church in a way that I did and Pope Benedict has and John Wesley did as well.

The water placed upon her head is no different in composition than the water used by John the Baptist.

Today my little friend Olivia was publicly welcomed into the family of God. What a great vacation day!

1 comment:

Glenn said...

It's great that you were included by those from your previous charge. Connectionalism to the max!