Monday, February 01, 2010

Israel...Our first day on the streets

So many things I could write about today's trip. There were so many powerful events. I guess the event that would be the "default picture/sound" for the journey today, happened at the Church of the Nativity. It was there, while we were in the cave in which tradition says Jesus was born, that I got a glimpse of what this is truly all about. I was listening to people sing Silent Night in their native tongues. I heard my colleagues sing the song not only in English, but French Creole, Korean, Spanish, and the native tongue of my Bishop who is from India. It was a powerful moment. Not because of the song being sung but because of where we were, who I was with, and the simple beauty of the moment.

It was there in that cave in which the king was born, and not like any king had previously been born. The world still struggles with the same things it did then. We have wars and poverty and disease among many other ailments. Yet despite all that as we stood in the cave, I got a glimpse of what we need. I got a glimpse of the power of Love and compassion, grace, and mercy. In that cave today those things shone brighter than they ever had for me before.

I want to be a part of the good things. I want to live a life that shines a powerful light and glorifies the king...who was born here in this land we call Bethlehem.

This is only the first day of my trek here in Israel...but more importantly...this might be the beginning of an even greater trek. I am excited to see where God will take me tomorrow.

3 comments:

Lynne Trallo said...

I am as well PL and also eager to read your account and interpretation of it.

Bob J from SSCM said...

I had no idea you were going here...it will be interesting to report your findings. I want a full account!Too bad you can't post pictures. Be safe!

greg. said...

larry,

that trip sounds amazing. can't wait to go myself someday.

oh wait...i'm here with you. nevermind.