Tuesday, February 09, 2010

What do you see?


During our visit to Bethlehem we visited a shop that had a ton of products made from olive wood. As we left, we looked in the alley by the shop and this is what we saw. This huge pile of olive wood was simply waiting.

It makes me wonder, is this what God sees when he looks at us in the church. Perhaps a pile of people just waiting, waiting for someone to do something? I know that is what I would see and often do, when I think of us "church folk". We are always sitting around and spinning our heels and waiting for someone to inspire us or someone else to do the work that needs to be done.

Yet I think when God looks at us, he sees so much more. God sees who we are inside, beneath the rough exterior, to the beauty inside us. He sees the people inside of us the ones that are concerned for things that God is concerned about; things like justice and mercy and righteousness.

I don't want to look like a piece of wood on the ground anymore, I want to live my life the way God sees it can be and should be lived.



The day we were in that shop, we got to see what one of those pieces of wood could look in the hands of a master. It gives me hope that perhaps my life in God's hands can look just as wonderful and can have just as much meaning.

So perhaps of asking ourselves and our churches what they see when they look at themselves and each other, we should ask them what they think God sees.

1 comment:

Glenn said...

God has made each of us so wonderfully (and marvelously)complex. I sense in our church world a loss of this awesome-ness and also a loss of urgency to share this Awesome God with others.