Monday, December 27, 2010

Why are we afraid?

So if I told you that a young child was born in a local emergency shelter during the last snowstorm, would you have any trouble calling the child homeless?

If I told you that same child ran away from home as a young boy and spent three days or so without his parents knowing where he was, you wouldn't have any problem calling the child at least temporarily homeless, would you?

If that same child grew up and as an adult told people that he didn't have a place to call his own...again we would have no trouble calling him homeless would we?

Yet for some the thought of calling Jesus homeless really is troubling. Why?
Maybe it is because if we acknowledge Jesus was at the VERY least temporarily homeless than we need to reevaluate how we look at the problem of homelessness.

See if Jesus was homeless then how could we then simply turn on backs on the homeless people we see? How could we only worry about the problem of homelessness during times such as thanksgiving and Christmas?

Maybe for some the idea of a homeless savior seems a little "icky". I would think that is the same feelings that the early Jewish people felt when their warrior king turned into the suffering servant.

I obviously have been thinking about homelessness a lot lately and the more I think about it the more I wonder how Jesus feels as he is watching how we treat the homeless....

I wonder..

“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ (Matthew 25:45)

I wonder...


No comments: